Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Q & A

Q: I have a question regarding taking days to rest in between workouts. Everyday I do 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups. I've noticed improvements in my health and strength just from this very brief daily routine. I have not missed one day for 2 months.

My question is does taking a day off from working out, even if the workout doesn't fatigue my muscles or even make me sweat make that big of a difference in the results I will see?

A:
The odds are that you'd feel equally perked up from 40 quick reps of any calisthenics. There's nothing extra-special about push-ups and sit-ups.

Chad Waterbury is one of the biggest advocate of high frequency training, and even he recommends at least one day of complete rest each week.

Plus, if you're saying that the workout "doesn't fatigue your muscles" or "even make you sweat", there's not much benefit other than some non-exercise physical activity (NEPA, or basically "moving around a bit more"). Even in that case, it'd be better for you all-around to have some variety in the exercises, not sticking to the same exercises 60 days in a row.

If you really want to do something every single day of the week (even though it's not necessary), mix it up. Something like:

Push-ups and lying leg arcs Monday and Wednesday

Lunges and some kind of row (light dumbbell, with a stuffed backpack, etc) on Tuesday and Thursday

Prisoner squats and pull-ups on Friday and Sunday

Dive-bomber push-ups and squat thrusts on Saturday.

If you have anymore questions about the exercises, shoot me an e-mail at Chris@ColucciTraining.com.

- Chris.

--------

Q: I've noticed that while I'm lifting and once I finish, I have a short "high." My mood spikes, and then afterwards, I slump into a really low depression and can't seem to get out of it until I lift again.

Is this common, what should I do about it?

A:
There's definitely a kind of endorphin rush after a good lifting session, just like long distance runner's can experience. You could just be overly sensitive to it, so you notice when you come down from it more than most people.

Are you new to lifting? Are you healthy otherwise (physically, hormonally, etc.)? Are you taking any supplements?

I wouldn't stress over it too much. Try to remember that lifting is a great thing to be doing, but it shouldn't be "the reason you get out of bed in the morning, so if I'm not lifting today, I'm going to veg out and go blaaaaahhhhhh."

Look, there's more to life than lifting heavy iron. Enjoy it while you're doing it, and look forward to doing it again soon, but if you're moping around just because you're not in the gym, we need to find you something else to be interested in.

If you want to talk about some other options, shoot me an e-mail.

- Chris.