Monday, August 25, 2008

Q & A

Q: My 13-year old brother wants to start lifting weights with me. I've read before that this may not be such a good idea, since training with weights at such an age could impede normal growth and development. I don't know if this is true or a myth.

A:
It's actually mostly a myth. Smart training, which centers around compound free weight exercises and avoids muscular failure, is absolutely fine.

The "stunting your growth" concept really only comes into question if we're talking about pushing the limits, in regards to reaching muscular failure or poor program design which would include a bunch of machine exercises. Mark Rippetoe also talked a bit about this when I spoke with him recently.

However, I still recommend beginning with a basic bodyweight-only plan to introduce the kiddo to consistent training. My standard recommendation/introduction is a full-body calisthenic workout, aiming for their age in reps on each set.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Squat 2x13 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)

Push-up 2x13 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)

Lunge 2x13 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)

Chin-up 2x13 (Assisted, if needed)

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes/arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Squat thrust 2x13


You should supervise the workouts to make sure they use textbook-perfect technique on everything, and make sure they work within their limits (by avoiding muscular failure. Keep one rep "in the tank").

Once this routine is "easy," shoot me an e-mail and we can plan a free weight routine as the next step.

- Chris.

- - - - - - - -

Q: I currently weigh exactly 77kg (at 5'10") and I don't want to gain anymore weight, but I want to get even stronger. I have to stay in this weight class for my sport, so I was wondering if there's any different way I should be training?

A:
Keep your set/rep total around 10-20 reps per exercise/movement pattern and you'll be fine. It's the volume, for the most part, that's going to flip your training stimulus from "strength" to "size". 5x3 is especially killer for strength-focused cycles.

Of course, calories are going to be very important to monitor. Maintain your current total calorie intake, and as long as you've got sufficient protein, carbs, and healthy fats, it should be relatively-easy to keep an eye on your bodyweight.

Send me another e-mail when your competition gets closer, and we can go over some more details.

- Chris.