Friday, June 05, 2009

I'm a Farmer, Again

You might remember my venture into joining a CSA farm last year. Well, I'm back at it again this year. I've signed up for a full membership to help support the Golden Earthworm Organic Farm out in Jamesport.

A CSA, or community-supported agriculture, farm is a throwback to the good old, "Yes Mr. Farmer. I'll pay you cash monies, and in return, you'll give me some of your crops."

I first got the notion to join a CSA after reading Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto which discussed the benefits of a diet based on nutritious whole foods, fruits, and vegetables. I highly recommend that you give the book a read, or at least, read through this great summary, Eat Food. Not Much. Mostly Plants.

I received my first batch of certified-organic vegetables (fruit should start arriving next month), and it looked something like this.



Going clockwise from the lower left corner, that's rhubarb, French breakfast radishes, a head of red lettuce, a head of Boston lettuce, a small bag of arugula, beets, baby bok choi, and white turnips.

You'll notice the greens missing from the beets. That's because I ended up sauteeing them (with some olive oil, shallots, and sea salt) before I remembered to snap the picture. Whoopsy. But it was delicious.

This is all just one week's worth which means I'll be seriously increasing my daily vegetable intake. That's a good thing, and fits right in with what I decided to do after my recent diet experiment.

Another great thing about this farm is the strawberries. Holy crow. If you've never had fresh Long Island strawberries, buddy, you're missing something. The farm just had a "u-pick" strawberry weekend. It was well-worth the three-hour round trip to spend an hour in the field plucking a few quarts of strawberries right off the vine with my own two hands.

Ridiculously red, no preservatives, no chemical pesticides.


So, consider this one more suggestion for you to add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. The more natural, the better. A side of creamed spinach from KFC = not quite natural. Raw spinach that was harvested at 10am and in your kitchen by 2pm = good times.

To find a CSA farm near you, check LocalHarvest.org.